About The Department:
The Department of Mathematics came into existence with the establishment of the Science Faculty in 1947. It was led by Sri Raghunath Saran and had strength of about 20 students. Later Mr. Hidayat Husain joined the department in 1958 as a lecturer. Mr. S. S. H. Taqvi joined the department in 1965 and Prof. W. H. Abidi in 1966. The department offers undergraduate courses to the students of both – Arts and Science stream students and is expected to run post-graduate course soon. It also runs an add-on course “Mathematical Optimization (LPP)” for advanced studies, preparing the students for entrance exams for higher education. Presently, it is endowed with well qualified and talented teachers at 4 permanent posts and more than 500 students are enrolled in it. The teachers are authors and editors to many books and have published/presented research papers in various international and national journals/ conferences. The department follows the curriculum prescribed by the University of Lucknow. The department has a smart room for teaching and its own rich library with over 700 books from reputed national and international publishers, of which about 200 have been donated by the faculty to enhance the stock. Focusing on the overall development of the students, the department introduced many innovative programs to nourish and evolve the students in 2013, including regular organization of departmental meetings, internal assessments through which students are assessed and informed to improve their performances in respective topics, guest lectures, parent-teacher meetings and also election of class representatives for smooth functioning. Programs like presentations, quizzes and students’ lecture demonstration directly involve students and help in boosting their self-confidence. Special remedial classes for weaker students and enrichment classes for the polished students are organized for enhancing their ability and expertise. A weekly schedule is displayed on the notice board for every week. To know about the problems faced by the students related or unrelated to the courses, mentor teachers interact with the students frequently. Alumni of the department have excelled in different fields and held prestigious posts including Department Heads and Vice-chancellor of various universities and teachers in degree colleges.
Department of Mathematics strives to be nationally recognized for academic excellence through the depth of its teaching and research, and to be locally relevant through its role in the development of the community it serves.
The mission of the mathematics department is to provide an environment where students can learn and become competent users of mathematics and mathematical application. Moreover, the department will contribute to the development of students as mathematical thinkers, enabling them to become lifelong learners, to continue to grow in their chosen professions, and to function as productive citizens.
In pursuing this mission, primary departmental functions are the development, dissemination, and application of mathematical knowledge and in the areas of: mathematics, mathematics education, and actuarial science. We will serve students who are our majors and minors, general education students, and those from other service areas.
In fulfilling this mission, the department creates an environment where the faculty and continue to grow as teachers and scholars, while providing public and professional service.
Long Term Goals
- To establish Research Activities in the field of Applied Mathematics in the department.
- To have all faculty with Ph.D. degree.
- To create an environment that supports outstanding research.
- To gain overall development in academic and teaching domains.
- To help students for their academic excellence to reach global standards.
- To organize National and International Conferences.
Short Term Goals
- To provide the best Mathematics education required to strengthen the backbone of all Science and Engineering Departments.
- To attract and retain faculty of highest caliber.
- Continue to give facilities to the faculty to do their research towards Ph.D.
- To provide opportunities for faculty to gain knowledge in teaching methodologies.
- To provide opportunities for faculty to participate in various seminars, workshops, conferences and training programs.
- To conduct Guest Lectures, National Conferences and Workshops for the benefit of students and faculty.