ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
The department of Urdu was established in 1965 Under Graduate and 1995 Post Graduate under self finance scheme department of urdu was established as a single independent unit. The department has the glorious History of academic and Literary achievements, it has the honour of having the scholars of international repute who have produced outstanding and trend-setting Literary works.
The scheme of studies for B.A. , M.A. and PhD programs is designed in such a way that it may cater to the needs of prospective researchers in this vital national discipline. Urdu is in need to have a new generation of young enthusiastic scholors and researchers to make their contribution to keep developing Urdu as a language. The present global surge in linguistic studies is a challenge that urdu scholor need to meet with scientific that research. The history of the developed nations who made a mark in the field of science and technology is witness to the fact that without developing their national language a nation cannot make such progress. The department of urdu at UOS has set such goals for itself and is working and developing in this direction.
Therefore, vision of the department of urdu is to enable the students not only to keep pace with the Copernican changes taking place in the field of knowledge but also to become contributors to it
Capability to look beyond their surroundings and analytical vision to place and define themselves in the wider social, cultural, political and ideological environment. The department of urdu is striving to instill in the students a spirit of critical inquiry, to sensitize aestheticism and humanize the students enabling them to become leaders of change. As the study of literature is no longer leisure and pleasure activity, the students are encouraged in its true intellectual milieu.
To impart higher education in urdu and research and develop mental, physical, spiritual scientific temperament and human values of t he students.
Urdu is the national language as such it plays a vital role in the development of national harmony and act as a bridge for different language of Pakistan. In deed it is the most common medium of instructions and communication. The department of urdu is thus the mother department of the languages.
- To guide the student of M.A. & Ph.D in depth research of urdu language and literature for ascertaining multi faceted values of different ages.
- To explore old and new horizons of urdu literature pertaining to prose, poetry and criticism.
- To foster and environment that promotes learing through quality teaching and research while encouraging mutual respect, tolerance and sensitivity.
- To provide qualifies and focuses professionals in the subject of urdu to meet the future needs of educational institutes or industry.
- To prepare researchers to meet the needs of industry and research organizations, science and technology.