About The Department
Department of History is a part of Faculty of Arts and was established in 1960. At present history is taught in under graduate classes. Earliest faculty member Dr. Syed Ali Shabbar Rizvi served and nurtured the Department for twenty seven years. At present the Department has two members. It is the part of Faculty of Arts and HOD is Dr. Sartaj Shabbar Rizvi Associate Professor. He is specialized in Medieval, modern and world history. The department is continuously encouraging the students to examine the connection between historical events and human experiences. By studying the causes, contexts and chronologies of individual events the department provides an understanding of the nature of continuity and change in human experiences. it not only serves the students but also make them aware about the role of history for making the society. The department has a strong commitment to the professional development of its faculty through the scholarly publications and participation in various seminars, conferences and workshop and also encourage the faculty members to associate themselves with the professional associations of history and develop good relation with its students.
To become an institution of excellence in the core area of History and make them globally competent in various area of research in history.
- To impact quality education and to undertake research in history
- To provide students with knowledge about the origins and development of peoples in the past as well as to develop their ability to conduct research, analyse evidence and express defensible conclusions orally and in wiring and also prepared successful professional careers as secondary teachers, college or university professors, journalists, lawyers, civil servants, and historians in government and private agencies
- To attain students with the past and present of India.
- Impact a critical understanding of Indian society , economy, , polity and culture through a historical perspective.
- To stimulate intellectual curiosity and research attitude in the students.
- To introduce the various Indian and foreign traditions of History writing.