The philosophy of education has undergone a paradigm shift in the modern age. Education has slowly transformed from being teacher-centric to student-centric. This necessitates student representation in all aspects of the teaching-learning process. In this backdrop, Shia PG College gives utmost importance to involvement of students in various activities and functions of the College. The Students are encouraged to participate in activities beyond their academic curricula so that they become confident and well-balanced individuals. There are several student societies that cater to a range of interests encouraging the students to hone their unique talents and managerial skills. Besides representing the college at different colleges and Universities, they also organize competitive eevents to showcase the talents of students in various in-house events organized within the Campus.
The Students’ Council is the representative group of students that works together with the Convener of Students’ Welfare Committee within the framework. The Students’ council comprises of 15 academically/culturally accomplished student members. The Convener of the Students’ Welfare Committee is the Chairperson of the Council. The Students’ Council aims to promote the interests of the College and the welfare of the students. The functions of the Students’ Council include making suggestions to appropriate authorities of the college regarding academic and other endeavours of the college. Further, the Council seeks to facilitate an environment that promotes constructive communication, mutual friendship and respect amongst the students with the objective of creating an environment which fosters holistic and integral development of the students. Amongst its activities, the Council ensures student representation on various committees, setup by the college to promote academic and other pursuits. Student representatives are members on each of these committees, which perform significant functions, including the following:
1. IQAC committee – The Students’ Council contributes to quality assurance in academic and administrative processes. Many suggestions given by the students are adopted after consideration by the managerial body and are acted upon.
2. Student Placement Committee –The Students’ Council assists in organization of placement programs of the college which incolve campus selection drives by various companies.
3. Cultural and Sports Society – Shia P.G. College Cultural and Sports Society organizes various intra-college as well as inter-university cultural/sports events.
4. ICC (Internal Complaints Committee) – This committee works specifically towards creating a safe environment for females and ensures protection of their dignity in the campus. This body is responsible for preventing discrimination against women and takes strong note of cases of sexual abuse.
5. National Service Scheme (NSS) and National Cadet Corps (NCC) Cell – These cells motivate students to actively participate in matters of social relevance and national interest.
6. Calendar Committee – It frames academic calendar for the college.
7. Library Committee – It helps in functioning and augmentation of library resources.
The members of the Students’ Council played a key role in setting up the Online Students’ Grievance Redressal Portal. Additionally, Students’ Council members and student volunteers are actively involved in organizing various domain specific workshops, seminars, technical events, hackathons, conferences, expert talks etc. many of which have become annual events.